Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Austin ITU race report

Well my first trip to Austin was a success. I got to see a bit of the famous city, had a good race, and met some cool people. First off, I have to thank Debbie and Alan Downey for hosting me and Lance in Austin for the weekend. They made amazing meals, gave us our own rooms, and provided a car for us to use around the race. It was yet another great homestay with some really nice people that I have been lucky enough to have.

We flew into Austin on Saturday evening, and the weather was really nice, but the forecast was a bit worrisome. They were expected clouds most of Sunday but then on race day it was going to be a furnace. Unfortunately for us, the weather guys got this one right and by race start on Monday it was a balmy 95 with some really good humidity. Not exactly what we have been training in here in CO. In prep for the race I think I took about 6 salt tabs, had been eating as much salt as I could get and drinking water by the gallon, and I have to say I think my nutrition was pretty good. No cramping during the race and felt decent.

The race itself unfolded just as I had hoped with a quick start to the swim and a good little break away group of four as we exited. I felt really good as we got out on the bike course and put in a long hard pull to get things rolling, however, I soon found out that Flash and myself were with a couple of inexperienced riders. One of the guys dropped off, and Van Akerren picked the whole thing up but we had struggled to organize quick enough and were about one strong guy away from a commanding lead. By the 4th of 5 laps we were about a minute up, and that is where we stayed heading back to transition. Then the heat really kicked in. My legs felt really heavy coming off the bike and I really just tried to focus on knee drive and quick feet to get things going, but Fleischmann was taking off with every stride and I was in a bit of a maintainance mode until I could get things rolling. The first 5k were really rough, extremely hot, and I think I overextended myself a bit on the bike and by the halfway point had dropped from 2nd to about 11th. I did feel a bit more in control the second half but just didn't have the legs to go with people as they passed me and finished in a decent 16th, but a bit dissapointing.

At the top of things to work on for me is running, but in particular running in the heat. For whatever reason I always tend to struggle in the heat, which is something I have to figure out for nats in Alabama in August. Plenty of time though, scored some many needed ITU points and moved up to 260th in the world. Ha not where I want to be but its a solid start to my drafting season.

Lance and Jimmy both had solid races, spending much of the bike working together. Jimmy finished in 31st and Lance in 36th. A solid day at the office for Without Limits Racing.

Then we headed out ot Sixth Street to check out a bit of Austins famed night life and watch the Nuggets dominate the Lakers.

Good trip, Austin is a cool place. Really nice people, great food, but a bit on the hot side for me.

No comments: