Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bolder Boulder Recap

As any Boulderite knows Memorial day means the Bolder Boulder 10k. It is one of the longest running and largest running road races in the country and is always a good time as well as a chance to throw down a good 10K at altitude. This year I ended a 4 year hiatus from the race and went in with the idea of seeing where my run fitness was at, having a good training day, and enjoying the atmosphere that goes along with this one of a kind race.

Honestly, I didn't think about the race a whole lot leading up to it and can't say I rested for it much since I was up helping my girlfriend move until about 10:30 the night before, but come race morning I was excited and ready to give it a rip. Being a triathlete I figured the perfect warm up would be a little spin on the bike before doing some running pre race. The weather was perfect, about 50 and sunny and the gun went off for the first citizen wave at 7am sharp.

As we know, Boulder is never short on talented athletes and as such the A wave of the race is ridiculously fast. Put that with a slightly down hill first mile and you have the ingredients for a real quick pace. I tried ot hold back the first couple of miles and get into a groove. Going through the 5k in about 16:30 I was feeling strong but the legs were definitely feeling the touch course with tons of hills and turns. Miles 4 and 5 were really rough as it became a battle to maintain my form and try and hold the pace, but once I got to the last mile I was able to give it a little more. The race ends inside CU's Folsom Field, and if passing a statue of the great Frank Shorter as you enter the stadium doesn't get you moving the entrance on to the field does. I finished strong with a good kick passing a couple people at the end and finished in a respectable 33:57. That got me 48th place overall, and considering the 54,000 entrants I guess that's not bad for a swimmer. Good training run, lots of fun, and good measure of where my running is at...still improving.

If you are ever in Boulder over Memorial day weekend make sure to do the Bolder Boulder, definitely a must do for any serious or fun loving runner.

No comments: